NJPW Wrestle Kingdom is one of the most significant occasion in Japanese wrestling. Following tradition, Wrestle Kingdom 18 features a main event with an IWGP World Heavyweight Championship match between Sanada and Tetsuya Naito, showcasing a student-teacher dynamic. The final match often sets New Japan’s direction for months, and this year may be especially significant.
The co-main event featured AEW’s Bryan Danielson returning to Japan for a rematch against Kazuchika Okada, following their previous encounter at the Forbidden Door pay-per-view last June.
A triple threat match was also on the card to determine the first-ever IWGP Global Champion, with Jon Moxley, Will Ospreay, and David Finlay vying for the title.
NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 18 results
- Tetsuya Naito def. Sanada by pinfall to become the new IWGP World Heavyweight Champion. After the match, Naito is attacked by EVIL and Dick Togo, but Sanada helps fight them off to close the show
- Kazuchika Okada def. Bryan Danielson by pinfall
- David Finlay def. Will Ospreay and Jon Moxley to become the inaugural IWGP Global Heavyweight Champion
- El Desperado def. Hiromu Takahashi by pinfall to become the new IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champion
- Great-O-Khan, Taiji Ishimori, Toru Yano and Yoh win the KOPW 2024 New Japan Ranbo. They now head to New Year Dash to compete for the Provisional KOPW 2024 Championship
- Catch 2/2 (Francesco Akira and TJP/The Aswang) def. Bullet Club War Dogs (Clark Connors and Drilla Moloney) by pinfall to become the new IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Champions
- Hiroshi Tanahashi def. Zack Sabre Jr. by pinfall to become the new NJPW World Television Champion
- Yuya Uemura def. Yota Tsuji by pinfall
- House of Torture (Evil and Ren Narita) def. Shota Umino and Kaito Kiyomiya by pinfall
- Tama Tonga def. Shingo Takagi by pinfall to become the new NEVER Openweight Champion
- Nic Nemeth (Dolph Ziggler in WWE) and brother Ryan Nemeth are shown making their way to “VIP seats”
- Guerrillas of Destiny (Hikuleo and El Phantasmo) def. Bishamon (Hirooki Goto and Yoshi-Hashi) by pinfall to become the new IWGP Tag Team Champions and retain the Strong Openweight Tag Team Championship